Thursday, December 10, 2015

New Orleans - Day 1


My school sent me to New Orleans this past November for The International Conference on WWII, 1945: To The Bitter End.  In truth, I have been itching to get to The Big Easy and this was the perfect excuse.  My plan was to attend the conference, but also knock off as many bucket list items as possible.   

The conference was hosted at the WWII Museum and The Hyatt Regency. I arrived late in the afternoon on Thursday and quickly freshened up before heading to the museum for the opening ceremony.  Upon arrival, I had to chuckle.  I looked around the room and found that I was one of the few women, one of the few educators, and one of the few people UNDER the age of 65.  This gentleman sat down beside me, offered to move me back to Detroit, and shared his story of fighting the Nazis. He was 90 years old and a hoot!


After the keynote address, I took an Uber to the French Quarter for a late dinner.  A friend, who has visited NOLA many times, insisted I try Bayona.  I started with their specialty bourbon cocktail and settled in the cozy dining room to peruse the menu.  A lovely couple, visiting from England, sat down beside me.  He was celebrating his 70th birthday.  


I had heard the Goat Cheese Crouton with Mushrooms in Madeira Cream was not to be missed, so I ordered it immediately.  Mushrooms and I have a love/hate relationship. If executed well, I adore them; if not, there is nothing worse in my mind. These, were perfection.  I followed this with the Split Pea Soup and Quail Salad.  While perfectly lovely, the mushrooms were worthy of discussion.



Exhausted from traveling and happily full, I hopped in an Uber and headed back to the hotel.













No comments:

Post a Comment