Friday, December 11, 2015

Food and Jazz in New Orleans

Friday morning I grabbed a Starbucks and headed to my morning sessions.  By lunchtime, I was starving.  I strolled over to the French Quarter in search of antiques and brunch, my favorite meal of the day.  New Orleans should really be explored on foot, weather permitting.  

Being a loyal subscriber to Garden & Gun and a huge fan of Julia Reed, I approached the rest of my trip with this mantra: "WHAT WOULD JULIA DO?"  The answer, most often, was eat!  I headed down Royal St. until I reached this bright pink building, home to world famous Brennan's. 

This was, without a doubt, the most beautiful restaurant I had ever seen.  My iPhone photos don't begin to do it justice.  I saddled up to the bar and was greeted by the friendliest of bartenders. 



Having properly researched, I knew I had to try either the Pimm's Cup or Milk Punch.  I opted for the Milk Punch, which will now be making an appearance at my Christmas Eve dinner.  For brunch, I went with the suggested Eggs Cardinal.




Although Brennan's invented Banana's Fosters, I had my mind on other, less fruity desserts.  The bartender provided me a complimentary Pimm's Cup for my walk.  Drinking while strolling is not only perfectly acceptable in New Orleans, but encouraged.  I headed a few blocks until I found Franklin Square.  Cafe Du Monde sits beside the park and luckily for me, there wasn't much of a line. I got my beignets and coffee to go, found a cozy bench, and indulged in what turned out to be a fancy funnel cake.  Don't get me wrong, I've never been mad at a funnel cake before, but still, beignets are very similar. 

St. Louis Catherdral

Sufficiently full, I headed back to the hotel..  Following the afternoon sessions, I changed clothes quickly, making sure to bundle up, as a cold front had rolled into town.  I made it to the Hotel Monteleone Carousel Bar and Lounge just in time for happy hour.  This place is the most beautiful bar.  Had I been there with a group of friends, I think I could have stayed all evening.  They had just begun to decorate for Christmas and everything was draped in garland and lights.


The Carousel Bar is just that, a carousel.  It actually rotates.  Sadly, at happy hour, it is impossible to find a seat. I went to the second bar, located in the back of the lounge, to have my cocktail.  A jazz band had just begun to play and I was beginning to believe that this must be my spirit city.  



I left and walked to Frenchmen Street in search of live jazz.  The bartender at Brennan's had told me that Kermit Ruffins was playing at The Blue Nile that evening.  Kermit is well-known in the New Orleans area and happily shared his stage with various guest musicians.  I adored every moment of the show and have downloaded some of his music, even a Christmas album. 


During the show, I ran into a couple of guys I had met at my conference and joined them for dinner at one of Emeril's restaurants.  As you can imagine, we all were exhausted at our morning session Saturday.


No comments:

Post a Comment