Monday, March 7, 2016

Biscuits and Gravy

My marriage produced three things of value: the mother of all life lessons, my girl Gidget, and this sausage gravy, courtesy of my mother-in-law and made even better by my homemade biscuits; she used canned.  I have been working on perfecting my biscuits for years and finally seem to have them mastered. I make two kinds. These, passed down to me from my Papa, are the perfect vessel for this gravy.  They are amazingly light and fluffy.  I also make these biscuits, which I love, but they, in my opinion, are too thick for this gravy. They are more suitable for honey and jam. But lets be honest, there are few things more comforting than a biscuit, so make whichever ones strike your fancy. 




Ingredients:
1lb sausage 
1 can of evaporated milk
Salt/pepper
Flour, about three heaping tablespoons
1 cup or more of Milk- Whole or 2%

Making it happen:
Ground the sausage in a cast iron skillet. Drain out "most" of the grease in a colander and put sausage back in the pan.  Add the flour and salt/pepper, creating a roux.  On medium heat, slowly add the entire can of evaporated milk, stirring continuously.  Let the evaporated milk incorporate and thicken.  Add some of the regular milk, until your gravy is the consistency you like. Allow gravy to bubble away.  At this point, I usually taste the gravy for salt/pepper.  If your gravy becomes too thick, simply add more milk.  Once the gravy is the consistency you like and properly heated, spoon it on your perfect little biscuit and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment