Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Celebrating - Mom, Mexico, and Derby Day

My mom came to town the last weekend in April.  It was so nice to have her visiting and for us to get some one-on-one time.  She arrived Saturday afternoon and we ran down to the fish market to grab some seafood.  She adores the shrimp scampi w/ linguine that I make and we decided to have that for a late lunch.  This dish never disappoints.  



We spent the rest of the evening watching Newsroom re-runs.  We agree that it was one of the best shows on TV and are equally disappointed that it is now off the air.  

Sunday morning we did brunch at San Juan Cafe and hit up a movie.  She had taken Monday off work, so she was able to stay Sunday evening as well.   We snacked and played rummy and scrabble into the night.  Although I didn't make it home for Mother's Day, I was so grateful for us to have the weekend together.  I am one of the lucky ones- my mom has morphed into one of my greatest friends. 


I had my friend, Claire, over for Cinco de Mayo last week.  I made these enchiladas, Chrissy Tiegen's Mexican Street Corn, and my version of a jalapeno margarita.  


Poor Gidget had a grooming appointment on Friday.  I had let too much time pass and she ended up shaved.  She was not pleased and I am having a hard time taking her seriously without her hair. 


Although a little late to the game, I finally read this book on the beach this weekend.  It was worth the hype and especially funny for a private school teacher. 


Saturday afternoon, after a day at the beach, I threw an impromptu Derby party, complete with Mint Juleps.  










No comments:

Post a Comment