Monday, April 14, 2014

Charleston Guide- Cooper River Bridge Run 2014

My trip to Charleston last weekend started off at Acme Grille, on Isle of Palms, where I had this epic plate of Huevos Rancheros.  Holy Moly! Don't get me wrong, I have had some tasty Huevos Rancheros before, like the ones at Poole's in Raleigh, those are pretty sensational, but these, these are better.  The crispy tortilla shells on the bottom, the jalapenos, the salsa, the perfectly fried eggs, the cheese, the low country field peas, and the homemade chorizo, which added the perfect amount of spice, made for one delectable breakfast.  If you find yourself in Charleston, wander the 15 minutes over the bridge to this hidden gem.


Saturday was the Bridge Run.  I had never ran more than 3 miles.  This 10k, which is 6.2 miles, is quite the beast.  I decided I would give it a go, if only to enjoy the scenery.  This was the start line, Wave H. The Bridge Run is pretty popular, drawing 40k people to Charleston every spring.  


I actually surprised myself by running the majority of the race.  My lack of running preparation was made up for by my consistent yoga practice. I took this photograph while walking up the bridge.  I started running again when I got to the top.  People were in great spirits.  There were bands playing all along the route, to the point that I didn't even need my own music.  Once exiting the bridge, we arrived in downtown Charleston.  Once on King St. the race slowed down a bit because it was so crowded with people.


Once back to the house, we showered and headed to the Marina Grille.  A band played while we ate and relaxed.  I was not impressed with the food, but the scenery was pleasant.




We had two great days of sunshine and warm weather, which was better than we had suspected.  The forecast had predicted storms for race day, so we were relieved that it turned out so beautiful Saturday. Sunday, the rain finally showed up.  We headed in to town for some shopping and good eats.  Our first stop was brunch at Hominy Grille.  I had read a lot about this restaurant and it did not disappoint.  We waited for an hour outside, in the rain, and I was still not disappointed.  



While waiting outside, we went to the window to order some beverages.  


A first, Beer Mimosa.  Think Blue Moon, with extra orange.


The remainder of the day was spent at the market.  I head back to Charleston in a few weeks for a wedding.  I can't wait to try out some new places.









No comments:

Post a Comment