Thursday, January 31, 2013

Papa's Biscuits

My father's biscuits are famous in our family! He has been begging my sister and me to make them for years. I have attempted several times, without success.  There were always problems.  Frequently, the problem was that they didn't rise. Finally, I saw success this past weekend when making biscuits and gravy. They were perfect, and dare I say, as good as my Papa's.

Ingredients:

2 cups of self rising flour
Buttermilk
Crisco

Making them happen:

Preheat oven to 360 degrees.

Sift two cups of flour into a large bowl. Add a 1/4 cup of Crisco and cut, with fork, into sifted flour. Slowly add buttermilk until mixture comes to dough like consistency. Dust flour onto counter and put the dough on counter. Knead the dough. Finally, roll out the dough until it is an inch thick. Cut biscuits and place on a greased cookie sheet.

Bake until golden on top and cooked throughout. Serve with sausage gravy or on their own, drizzled with honey.


No comments:

Post a Comment